Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Summer Sounds

I grew up in the "country" for most of my life, so summer sounds -- you know, frogs, crickets, locusts, etc. -- were like an annual summer songfest. Click here for a sample.

It wasn't until we were getting in the car after VBS the other evening and Edward commented on how "noisy" it sounded outside that I realized how much I'd taken those sounds for granted. My kids miss out on that summer concert living in W. City, a suburb of the City of R. The noises are there, but they are somewhat muted by the cars, sirens, and buildings around us. I guess you have to listen harder for them. (Kinda makes me want to take them outside at night more often.)

Still, we could always go for evening drives to the "country"...or, pending that, Google such sounds on the Internet and "camp out" in our livingroom listening to them.

Thank the Lord for technology...and imagination.

Click on any of the following for some fun:

Pond Peepers (my favorite!!)

Crickets

Katydids

* * *

Here's a fun tidbit from the National Aquarium in Baltimore. You can create your own Frog Chorus. Click on each of the frogs to add it to the "singing" group. Enjoy!

No comments: