Thursday, August 03, 2006

Harvest Moon


Wishful thinking? ---->

I guess the "honeymoon" is officially over...as far as home ownership goes.

I'm outside with my combine-harvester (a.k.a. my trusty Black & Decker Electric Mulcher Mower), thwacking my way through the knee-high grasses, wondering to myself why we ever thought home ownership was "to die for." (We're in the middle of a heat wave and the grass (a.k.a. weeds) is thriving! I'm certain I used the wrong kind of seeds.) I know. I know. Back in our apartment-living days, we didn't have a yard for the kids to dig up and leave things like broken shells and rocks around for unsuspecting tootsies to find play in. So?? Call me a Grinch. We had the sideyard of the school across the street and the school personnel to maintain the grass for us. Ahhh, those were the days....

Idle grass.

I put a lawn tractor on my "Wish List" for Mother's Day a few years ago. I just about had the kids convinced. But somehow their father (who will remain unnamed) didn't think it necessary for our .10 of an acre. Think about it! I'd be done mowing in a mere 10 minutes. Swipe, swipe. I'd be a Lawn Goddess out on my John Deere, revving the engine to "rabbit" speed, flicking on the headlights.

Instead I was out there tonight -- did I mention the intense HEAT wave? -- sweating in the 100 degree-F setting sun, harvesting our hayfield before our borough comes 'round to collect the Hay Tax Bill.

Of course, my hubby did offer....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES, HE DID! Maybe next time you'll take me up on it. Still, I had a tough time too, playing computer games with the kids!

Anonymous said...

Knowing the size of your yard the mental picture of you out there on a JD tractor is enough to crack me up alone. The additional thought of you simply turning evokes another giggle!