Friday, August 11, 2006

Drive-In Dreams

"The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there." ~L. P. Hartley

I love Drive-In Theaters!! You know the kind of place Gidget hung out in with her friends in that 1960s show. I've always dreamed of taking my hubby and kids to one.

I think I've been to one twice in my life. The first time was in a gold Ford Fiesta to see The Empire Strikes Back in California. I think I fell asleep. (But I was 9, okay? And it was dark!)

The second time was in college to see One Hundred and One Dalmations and...hmmm...I can't remember the second movie. I know it was a triple-feature. And we (about 5 or 6 of us) squooshed into my little red Hyundai Excel. For some reason, we didn't stay to watch the last movie which was Next of Kin. Maybe we were too cold and cramped.

I grew up hearing the story of my parents going to the drive-in the night before my mom went into labor with my oldest sister. Mom said she "pigged out" on candy and popcorn, never realizing she was in labor. I think she regretted it the next day...and so did the doctor.

I've always wondered what movie they watched....

1 comment:

Susie said...

Cheap dates are always a "plus," right?? :o) The one I took the photo from is in Orefield. Not sure how far away it is...but it's in the "610" area code region... So maybe?

Enjoy the first day post-VBS! I enjoyed working with you, Dawn!!