Saturday, August 19, 2006

Loving Language

Emily, at 8 months, was our little English baby
I love the English language. I love the words and accents and connotation and denotation and phonemes...American or British. I just love our language.

I discovered this love while I was studying at university, during classes such as Chaucer, Shakespeare, History of the English Language, All About Words. Since I was a Journalism/English major, I wasn't required to take Linguistics. Now I really wish I had. It's like the science of a language. I think I would have enjoyed it.

But while I enjoy our language, I also know how important it is to learn other languages. (View the following: Fishbowl.) It's the key to understanding other cultures and reaching out beyond ourselves. Our kiddos will enjoy learning a foreign language this year in school. Hopefully, it'll help me refresh my past years of learning a foreign language. As my French professor at university used to say, "Use it, or you'll lose it." From my own experience, I think that's very true.

Besides, isn't it fun to stretch beyond our borders? I've always felt that way.

1 comment:

Stuart said...

I've always liked new words, especially this one:
http://squidonthegrill.blogspot.com/2006/08/new-word.html

XXX!
A.