Sunday, August 27, 2006

Emmy Time

Kyra Sedgewick, Kiefer Sutherland at the 2005 Emmys
Okay, I admit it. I'm actually excited about the
Emmy Awards tonight.

I've never, ever, ever been a person to get excited about such stuff. (They're a tad overrated maybe?) But I do think awards ceremonies are great for those involved -- though Hollywood always manages to go "over-the-top" at such events.

Tonight is different for me somehow.

I have very few criteria in deciding if I like something: Is it good? (ie: good-looking, good story, good laughs...etc.) Yes? Then I like it.

When I was shopping for my first car my deciding factors involved a "good" checklist. It was red. Check. Good color. It had four tires. Check. Good tread. It ran well. Check. Good engine. And it had a cool-looking radio. Check. It even had a good cassette player. Sold! And the little cherry-red Hyundai named "Happy" stayed with me for over 120,000 miles and nearly 6 years...not bad for a person with limited knowledge of cars.

So back to the awards... I haven't ever really been a person to follow Hollywood. I don't care about trends. I don't care about this particular actor or actress. (I'll admit, I did like some of the "Brat Pack" in the '80s. And I did borrow copies of my friends Teen magazines....or buy the occasional copy of Seventeen, with cute teen-actor centerfolds. Okay...okay. So I'm aging myself a bit.) But I don't watch these kinds of things regularly.

This year, however, quite a few of my favorites (ie: 24, 24, and 24...oh, and maybe its lead actor) have been nominated which makes it even more interesting for me.

Having been a regular reader of TV Guy for the past half-year our so, I've become more savvy about the various movies and shows out there, along with the actors who make them possible. (Check out his blog! It's very informative and entertaining!) I've also enjoyed perusing a ton of Kiefer Sutherland movies which have introduced me to a bunch of new actors I'd never heard of, many of whom are up for Emmys tonight.

So I'm going to enjoy this evening's performance. (And that's exactly what it is, right?) And will I tune in again next year?

That will depend entirely on who's been nominated...and if they're "good."

No comments: