Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tuesday Tidings

Happy Tuesday to you...just past the ides of October!

My musings come to you today instead of Monday, due to the fact that my daughter and I had our birthday yesterday, and we headed up to the Big Apple to see some friends and do a bit of shopping. *grin*

And, wow, are we ever tired now!

Still in all, it was a great day, and it was wonderful to see Lana and her adorable girls! (We missed you, Jesse!)

We may have been a bit ambitious to go shopping at Macy's afterwards...

But one cute outfit, several yummy snacks/drinks, a "quick" trip to the 9th floor to see the Christmas display, and two adorable teddy bears later, we left that store and headed up Sixth Ave. to see the......Sketcher's store.

There aren't many earthly things that Emily desires more than sparkly pink shoes...well, actually, sparkly pink anything will do (a trend we first noticed in the jewelry district of Los Angeles when she was just 8 months old...but that's another story).

She'd been wanting a pair of Cali Gear shoes since she first saw a TV commercial for them this past summer. We don't usually go for stuff we see advertised on television, but in a search this summer for some kind of enclosed-toe sandals, we found some for Edward in a local shoe store. But, alas, as usual they didn't come in Emily's size, a hazard of growing bigger faster than most girls her age. She was a really "good egg" about it all and didn't complain, saying that she had nice pink Lands' End sandals that still fit just fine. Pretty impressive for a 9-year-old, huh? But I knew in her heart she'd been hoping...just a little bit.

And there they were! (Insert angelic choir singing here.)


Pink Cali Gear shoes in her size and the next size up and the next...

Complete with Cali bits!

Well, that birthday money nearly leaped from her new birthday purse.

By the time we got to the PATH train, her birthday shoes had been replaced by her new hot pink Cali gear shoes. Hmmm...I might need to get me a pair. They're kinda cute...

The kids bought me Season 2 of The Closer, so you know what Stuart and I will be doing for several upcoming evenings. (And, no, not that, dear. *blush*)

Anyways...

We had an incredibly busy week followed by an incredibly busy weekend, and I'm still feeling dizzy. (You know it's bad when you look at your calendar and every day has at least two jottings on it...)

My annual "wellness" visit to my family doctor on Thursday sent me to the eye doctor on Saturday -- a first visit for me. Made it nearly 37 years without a formal, personal visit...two days before my birthday. Not bad, except that I need glasses...and have needed glasses for a long while now. Ugh. So nearly $300 later, in 7 to 10 business days I'll be sporting some trendy oval frames that make me look and feel school-marmish -- despite the reassurances of everyone around me. I just gotta get used to the prescription and then I can have contacts...

So let's see...in the last two weeks I've been to the dentist, the doctor, the eye doctor... All that's left is the gyn. *smile* He's next. I've never been to a male gyn doctor before -- I usually see a midwife. But my hormones have been wacky again and affecting my waistline -- not in the familial way either -- so I'm off to see him soon, too. I think that will cover me for the year.

Edward had another soccer game this Sunday. They won again! YAY!! Edward nearly got a goal. He was so psyched afterwards, especially because it was our family's turn to bring a post-game snack, and I had bought his requested choices of Cheetos and lemonade...not the healthy choices I would have picked, but he felt "cool" because of it...so I guess 5 minutes of coolness is worth it and won't affect the other kids' health too much.

*breathe*

I think life can finally slow down a bit. We can only hope....

I won't do my usual calendar page musings today. I'll save that until next week, or another day when my writing brain is slow.

But I'll leave you with my favorite Bud-boy quote from yesterday:

As we were making our way out of a store in New York, Edward said quite loudly and emphatically, "We came, we saw, and we didn't see a thing we liked!" A bit embarrassed by his comment, I chuckled and cautioned him to keep his voice down, to which he replied, "Of course I didn't see anything I liked...it was all girl stuff!"

* * *

Completely unrelated except by marriage... If you haven't recently checked out my fantastically wonderful hubby's blog, take a gander over to Squid on the Grill. He's added a few new entries.

Have I said how much I love my hubby?

*grin*

No comments: