Monday, October 22, 2007

Monday Be"muse"ments

Happy Monday to you!

It's been a week since my birthday, and I am typing this with my new spectacles on my face.

Wow! I never knew how much better I'd see with glasses -- though they'll take some getting used to. I can still see without them, but I liken it to the HDTV display I saw in a store recently. HDTV versus analogue...what a difference.

I think the craziness of recent weeks is finally coming to an end. We finish soccer this week and have only two appointments. Phew! My head is still spinning from all the busyness.

Edward's soccer team won their game yesterday against the "best" team in the Wyomissing U8 league. They came alive in the last quarter. It was certainly something to behold! Their record now stands at 4-2. Not bad, not bad at all. He was psyched, though a bit tired from the Benedryl we'd given him earlier in the day.

My kids gave me Season 2 of The Closer for my birthday. And while we're looking forward to watching it, we've been too tired at night to make it through an episode. I used some birthday money to buy Season 2 of How I Met Your Mother so we've been enjoying that instead. (Somehow it's easier to stay awake with comedy.) We're looking forward to another new episode of Prison Break tonight.

My favorite-most show in the world is showing its annual season preview this coming Thursday. You can catch it online or on the big screen in Times Square. Less than 3 months until the new season begins!!

*Warning: Soapbox Monologue to Follow*

As a former card-carrying member of the news media and someone who has studied and observed it, I find it increasingly frustrating that reporters/writers cannot refrain from speculation. When a magazine has to use "unnamed sources" or "family friends" to give proof of something, we should all be a bit skeptical...

Okay, okay. I tried to resist, but my curiosity got the best of me... I broke down and read the People magazine article about Kiefer's "alcoholism." *sigh* My hubby warned me...

My question after reading it is this: If a person is pulled over for four DUIs in 18 years, why is it assumed that he is "struggling with alcohol?" Why isn't it more likely that he's struggling with poor judgment? That he needs to learn a bit of common sense? (You don't see rehabs for that sort of thing, do you?)

I'm not saying Kiefer doesn't have a problem with alcohol. I'm just saying that we don't know, and it isn't fair to automatically link DUI convictions with alcoholism and a "bad childhood" and "competition with his father's career" and on and on and on. Maybe all of that is true, but give the guy a break. People never prints anything nice about him. They don't even include him in the "Sexy Man" issue.

And in this same-said issue -- on the pages immediately following the Kiefer article -- they printed an article about how "fab" Julia Roberts is at 40...right after the article about "poor ol' Kiefer." Talk about kicking a guy when he's down.

I'm guessing Kiefer's having some regrets about his honesty and openness in a few recent articles, as well as the I Trust You to Kill Me rockumentary.

A-hem...stepping down now...

Moving right along...

And in other news, one of our county commissioners said this "gem" at a news conference about farmland preservation: "Without farmland, we couldn't farm." And future events such as these will happen in the future.... Thank you, Ed Wood!

* * *

5 THINGS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT
• a gospel choir singing its heart out
• tiny sugar pumpkins, Indian corn, and gourds
• donating books to the library
• a CLOSED sign flipped to OPEN
words of encouragement

* * *

I don't have any real comments or stories to add to the above list. Each one made me smile because each one is definitely something to be happy about.

But in a day and age when there's so much negativity going around, words of encouragement are especially welcome.

Practice acts of random kindness. In fact, why not practice kindness in general?

That may well be an answer to "world peace."

No comments: