Thursday, October 25, 2007

Live! From New York....

....it's the "24 Season 7 Trailer" in Times Square!

Guest starring: Chloe...er, um...Mary Lynn Rajskub.

---------------------

Okay, backing way up to the beginning...

The following takes place between 6 a.m. and 9:30 p.m. on a cold and misty Autumn day in New York.

Our journey began...at 6 a.m. It tooks us 3 1/2 hours (instead of the usual 2 1/2) to get to Hoboken, N.J., and our car was nearly rear-ended three times on our way there.

The traffic getting to Hoboken was awful. But we made it.

Finally!

We boarded the PATH train and travelled the 15 minutes under the Hudson River to Manhattan -- 23rd St. to be exact -- to meet up with our friend Lana and her girls at a nearby Starbuck's. (I'd wanted to go to Starbuck's on our last visit to NYC, but we got there too late...so this was a fun treat...not that we can't go to Starbuck's here...)


After our visit, we headed to Macy's where we participated in the "we came, we saw, we couldn't afford a thing" ditty. I had wanted to invest in some new, more-up-to-date-styled blouses, but when I looked at the pricetags on the ones I really liked, I decided that $88 to $91 a shirt is NOT worth it...another one I liked was retailing for a mere $180...hmmm...can anyone say Target?

Then it was off to lunch. Since we'd eaten breakfast relatively early...5:30 a.m....and had a mid-morning snack only...we hit a pizzeria for some authentic New York pizza earlier than the lunch rush. We all agreed it was VERY good!

Finally, it was time to head to Times Square to figure out which TV screen was playing the trailer (there were at least 20). Of course, the throng of 24 fans gathered in front of right one gave it away. We were given a 24 radio to listen to the soundtrack of the preview and then the countdown began.

It was awesome! The atmosphere alone made the trip all the more worth it. There was an excitement and awe in the air that couldn't have been matched watching it on my slow computer at home. I'd heard that Kiefer was in town...and wondered if he might make an appearance...okay, okay...

The closest I came to kissing Jack Bauer yesterday

But then...Mary Lynn showed up. We pinched ourselves, wondering if it really was her. And there as no doubt when she turned around... It was definitely Chloe!

The trailer was "phenomenal" -- to borrow a "Kieferism." We held our breath through it and felt speechless afterwards. Without giving any spoilers...I'll just say: "WHAT??? Wowzers!" Another pulse-pumping season awaits us!


We waited around to see if we could get a photo with Mary Lynn. She was so friendly and down-to-earth. And when she greeted me, I felt like I'd known her all my life. (While we waited Don Kaplan from the New York Post interviewed Emily and me for a webzine. Even though our interview didn't make the video, you can still see us as a family hanging out behind Mary Lynn and the reporter, and watch the end to see Stuart and Edward walking away.) The photo taken, an autograph given, and four hats received, we headed to the subway to travel back to Hoboken.


(The kids had just watched the video version of A Cricket in Times Square and so wanted to ride the subway from that station. Turns out the journey to the PATH train was all of 8 blocks = 1 stop = $2 each. Still, they were thrilled.)

Weary, hungry, and slightly cranky, we drove back to our home so that Edward could go to his last soccer practice.

*Sigh*

What a day!


* * *

And when his soccer practice finished, I got to go to meet another Kiefer fan (read: friend) who was in town to watch "Skate America."

How cool is that?

I'm still buzzing...

3 comments:

Angel at Aduladi' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angel at Aduladi' said...

Oh Wow! When did you go? Looks like us PA folks might lose you to the New Yorkers... sniff sniff! You are turning into a regular Manhattanite! :-)

*(I had to delete my first comment, LOL! I spelled something wrong and I am way too anal!!!)

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great time, Susie! And meeting Mary Lynn-- awesome!
-- Jane