Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Happiness and Horticulture

One of the things I like best about birthdays or Christmas or Mother's Day or any gift giving occasion whereupon I'm the recipient is the number of homemade goodies my kids make for me.

They put their entire beings into creating the treasures they present to me. It's a fantastic feeling to be loved so much.

Another thing is the presents they purchase -- with their own hard-earned cash -- from the dollar store.

This birthday was no exception.

Stuart dutifully took them to the store where they each purchased a few gifts for me.

Then they came home and spent the rest of the afternoon making homemade wrapping paper and little giftcards for each gift (they needed more tape about halfway through the session...)

They presented them to me with great pomp and ceremony, each gift getting a small explanation. The anticipation of my reaction to each was priceless. At one point, Edward giggled and did a little excited dance.

My favorite ones this year -- and I am loathe to choose a "best-est" from amongst my goodies -- were the fake flowers.

Many years ago, when Emily was about 3, I received a "virtual violet" (it said as much on the product tag) from her for Mother's Day. It still looks as "fresh" as the day she gave it to me...pardon the dust.

A few days ago, I received two more beauties to adorn my bookshelf with colorful glory. Both kids were so pleased by their choices that I nearly cried watching them.

The best part came when Edward clapped eagerly and explained what his was. "It's a fake flower, Mommy! You don't ever need to water it. And it won't even die!"

Two fake flowers: $2.12; a roll of tape and homemade wrapping paper/gift tags: $1.58; watching the joy on your children's faces as you open their gifts: PRICELESS.

1 comment:

Stuart said...

EXCELLENT post!!!!
XXX!