Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Brain Fuzz

My brain is full of fuzz these days. You know, like the lint you take out of the dryer. My cranium is cluttered to the max. I wish I had a "lint catcher" in my head. Certainly would help.

Not sure why I feel this way. I can blame all sorts of things...disorganization, lack of sleep, too much to do, hormones. But that doesn't solve the problem.

The world is spinning and carrying me with it. Like the merry-go-round at the park.

Even though I worked for a few years completely immersed in the news world, as a rule, I avoid current events now. Not to take the ostrich approach and ignore the world around me (in the hopes that all the bad news will go away -- though that would be nice) but because I seem to internalize everything I read. It ends up with the other bits of brain clutter and fills up my already too-full head. (I wish there was a mental-trash day -- you could just stick it all on your forehead, and someone would come 'round once a week and pick it up to take to the mental-dump...)

I truly believe that "no man is an island." Perhaps that's why I "take on" the news I read. I think of what it might feel like to be in that person's shoes, or something similar.

The deaths of those five little Amish girls have been in my mind and on my heart quite a bit lately. My daughter will be 9 in less than two weeks. I was hanging laundry outside this morning, thinking about how the mothers of those girls would be washing their clothes for the last time, remembering memories from the summertime or even just a few days preceding their deaths. They'd hear their giggles and see their sweet smiles just before their last goodnight kiss.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Nothing by accident. But my bursting brain can't even begin to fathom those mothers' feelings....

No comments: