Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Bit of a Whirlwind

The day of Ethan's birth became a bit of a whirlwind when a few hours after he was born, we realized that I was turning white. Something to do with blood loss and dehydration, I think.

I've been very blessed in life. I've never actually had to be admitted to the hospital for anything. No broken bones (apart from a few teeth), no emergency surgeries, no serious illnesses, all three births at home even. Clear and simple. Blessed.

So when the nurse told me she was taking me to the hospital (which is 5 minutes from our house...another blessing) I didn't really have time to process it all. Still, I'd just given birth and didn't want any complications to keep me from "mommying" my family. I was game for whatever they needed to do.

The hospital was very quiet when we got there. Very quiet. The fact that I had a staff of six nurses and two residents waiting on me proved that everyone was very bored.

Before I could finish spelling my name, they had me hooked up to two IV lines and in a bed, two bracelets on my wrist and a gown on my already weary body.

The doctor wanted to do a D and C which required anesthetic and an O.R.

Again, I was spinning trying to process it all.

But off I went on an adventure through the hospital.

I was hooked up to some more machines and "tied down" before the surgery and the next thing I remembered was...Zzzzzz...

...waking up in recovery. (The rest is a complete blank.)

Let me tell you...it was the most peaceful sleep I'd had since before I was pregnant. I didn't want it to end. I had been so tired from being awake all night. I wanted to ask what they used and if it was possible to get a small sample to take home with me. *wink*

Of course I knew I couldn't.

And when Stuart came to get me just before noon, I was more than ready to get back to my lovies. Nevermind the good sleep. Mommying comes first.

I am so blessed.

*grin*

2 comments:

Randi Jo :) said...

awww you ARE so blessed! I am so so glad you're doing great!

all 3 births at home?! wow! :) I am impressed

keep us posted when you can! :)

carebear said...

So glad all is well (and you got some much needed rest even in an unconventional way). I'm impressed that you have managed to stay away from hospitals for so long! Everyone knew my name at the hospital during my pregnancy and now everyone knows Matthews. Aren't we complete opposites! ;)