Monday, September 29, 2008

Sleepy Monday Musings

Well, it's finally happened. I'm tired... bushed... sapped... spent... tuckered out. Having a little eating machine/alarm clock who likes to wake up at 4 a.m. and stay awake until well after 5 a.m. has finally taken its toll. *smile* But it goes with having a new family member under the age of 1 month, I guess.

Happy Monday to you -- the final Monday in September!

Wednesday starts Emily's and my favorite-most month: October! In a few weeks, she and I will celebrate our birthdays, and my little girl -- my firstborn, my "mini-me" -- will be a palindrome. I can hardly believe that I have a nearly-11-year-old. Sigh. Time goes so fast. So I know it won't be "forevuh" that our newest baby-commander-in-chief wants to be fed and held and cuddled at 2 in the morning.

Speaking of our little General, Ethan turned 2 weeks old yesterday, and he's already changing so much. His little crooked, scrawny birdlegs are beginning to stretch and fill out and his face has gotten rounder. He's really coming into himself. He's even trying to smile and coo already. He's destined to be a talker -- it's in the genes -- and if his siblings have their way, he'll be reciting the Preamble and reading the Complete Works of Shakespeare before his second birthday.

Edward had his second soccer game of the season, and sadly they lost 1-5. Still, the kids had a good time and the rain held off until just after we got home, so the mission was accomplished as per usual. He's really "going for it" this season. He seems to have more confidence in his abilities, though he still gets a bit confused on the field and needs to be reminded to look for the ball.

Emily has an infected cyst on her side that needed attention. At her medical appointment tonight, our doctor was excellent about it and explained everything he needed to do. He took a culture from it to make sure we figure out what kind of antibiotic to use. (The irony of the whole thing was that I'd just read an article about "super bugs" (antibiotic-resistant bacteria) on Saturday...and then Emily came up to me and showed me the huge boil-like pimple on her side. Ugh. That's when I wished I'd not just read that article...about a boy with an infected pimple who contracted MRSA and needed to be hospitalized. Hmm...) As the doctor explained how the lab would grow the bacteria and check it against several different kinds of antibiotics, Emily proclaimed that he isn't really a doctor but a scientist. He agreed wholeheartedly. Half-hour of Life Science accomplished -- check.

Well, before I drift off at my keyboard and end up with QWERTY on my forehead, I'll bid you goodnight!

1 comment:

Jadie said...

Susie, you keep us Aunts updated so lovely. Thank you for that! I hope Ethan will sleep throught the night soon. It must be so hard to get awakened in the middle of the night. It's not the lack of sleep that makes you tired, but being woken up in your deepest sleep. But honey, it will pass...

Emily , poor little girl. I had a cyste in my neck when i was young. They had to remove it, and I was alone for more then a week. They had no idea what it was. I hope it will be all fine for Emily.

And that sweet boy Edward. Soccer is all about the ball, but with so many people around him it's so busy. He probably has no idea where the ball is. But I'm his biggest fan!!!

Susie, thanks for the update, big kiss!