Monday, September 01, 2008

Labor of Love Monday Musings

Happy Labor Day to you! And, no, I'm not in labor...yet. (Just under two weeks to go though. The curiosity is driving us all crazy!)

Happy September to you! The first of the month and the first Monday of the month, too. Time's a-whizzing by!

We officially start school tomorrow, meaning that now we need to keep track of our attendance, and the summer vacation is really and truly officially over. *sigh*

Speaking of school, we had an awesome first "unofficial" week of school, and the kids seemed to enjoy their new lessons quite a lot, finishing most days just after lunch. Not a bad start for us.


The house is nearly completely finished on the outside...paint-wise. Stuart finished painting the little side "shed" thing we have off our back porch and bought some stuff to fix the downspout. He also removed the shed's window to repair/repaint it. All in all, it looks really nice.

The college painters were interesting. We're not likely to recommend them to anyone...or use them again. They left quite a mess in their wake -- paint chips and drips all over the yard, sidewalks, and porch and mashed plants in our flowerbeds. Oh, well. They were worth trying, and they got the work done...in about a week (not the two days the manager originally thought it would take).

My parents headed down to Nags Head, N.C., for their usual week at the beach. We were sad that we couldn't join them this year, but it's definitely too close to the "Leechie duedate" to risk it. Plus, too much starts this week. (Emily and I have a focus group to attend tomorrow -- for which we earn a cool $100. And she begins dance class on Wednesday. It's hard to imagine this is her 9th year of dancing. Plus, we have conference calls with both our teachers on Thursday. Phew.)

Once again, as my parents embarked on their beach week, two hurricanes revved up in the Atlantic. It's an annual occurrence. Sadly, one of them -- Gustav -- looks likely to hit New Orleans again which won't affect N.C. but is sad for the people of that region. The other, Hanna, may have calmed a bit. (I'm not even sure if she made it to hurricane status.) So, as per usual, my parents will have to have the TV tuned to the Weather Channel for most of their vacation.

I'm getting more and more excited for the 24-Exile movie. It makes the wait for the new season in January seem not quite as long...though the movie is still a couple of months away, too. I went with my dear friend, Angel, to see Mirrors again...and thought I was pretty dumb afterwards. (I stress that she's a dear friend since she went with me to see it, even though she hates horror movies and watched most of the movie through her fingers.)

I kept thinking it wouldn't be as bad the second time since I'd already watched it and the "suspense" would be lessened by that fact, right? Right?? I think I jumped higher and more often this time. In fact, there were several times when I thought I would have given birth for sure if the whole birthing process weren't controlled by hormones. It will definitely be easier to watch on DVD. I can fast-forward through all the scary bits, which, as Stuart pointed out, will leave about 10 minutes of movie. *wink*

On that note, Happy Monday to you!

No comments: