Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Worm Weather

The weather has turned decidedly warmer and more humid...humider?

Yesterday, we even had some rain.

I went outside afterwards and the air smelled of earthworms. That's when I knew Summer had definitely arrived.

Warm, humid air + smell of earthworms = Summertime.

I'm not sure why that equation has to be, but for me it does. It's like smelling the combined aromas of freshly cut grass and onion grass. That's Spring for me.

Strange how smells can trigger memories.

When I was growing up we always had a chore to do in the morning before we could begin our day of playing/lazing/being bored.

Often it was weeding, and often when we weeded -- especially if it had rained overnight -- the air was humid and smelled "earthwormish."

I wonder what the worms smell in the summer...

1 comment:

Stuart said...

Is that a picture from our backyard?

XXX!