Monday, June 25, 2007

More and More Monday Musings

Happy Monday to you! And happy first full week of Summer!


New video on the side. I love this song. As a parent, I find it so inspirational!

We've had a beautiful start to the season with low humidity and cooler weather for the last few days! Whoo-Hoo! It meant that we could turn off the A/C for a few days at least. You could hear the weeping and gnashing of teeth at PPL...

Ah, well. "There's a warm wind comin'..." so the A/C's back on.

* * *

We watched Charlotte's Web with the kids on Saturday night (and, no, Kiefer Sutherland did not star in it...you can breathe now). Let me just say...sniff...sniff...it was SO good. I told the kids that movies which make you cry are "cleansing." I'm not sure Edward agreed.

Being a huge fan of the book and the cartoon movie, I'd been a bit skeptical that this version would measure up. But since it promoted 4H and FFA (Future Farmers of America, of which I'm an alumna), I knew we had to watch it. We downloaded Danny Elfman's soundtrack from the movie that same night, too.

* * *

You gotta love the cost-cutting measures Comcast must be undergoing.

On Friday, there was a repair guy on a ladder outside our back fence. He obviously called into the office for help because he was on speakerphone, and you could hear, "Thank you for calling Comcast Cable...all of our agents are currently busy assisting others. Your call will be answered in the order it was received." Then the hold music with bits of Comcast advertising came on.

For 10 whole minutes.

* * *

5 THINGS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT
• charm bracelets
• refinishing wood floors
breaking open a coconut
stepping out of a movie theater into sunlight
the love you give

* * *

I'll never forget the first time I "broke open a coconut." I'd never, ever opened one before.

So when my hubby told me to simply drop it on the ground, I didn't think and gave it a good slam....

Bits of coconut flew in every direction and coconut milk splashed up the side of the house.

Stuart stood aghast.

"A little too hard?" I asked, with a sheepish grin. At least I did it outside...

I now let Stuart cut them open.

* * *

Have you ever noticed when you come out of a movie theatre mid-day that you've forgotten where you were during the 2 hours or so that you were inside?

It's like you've gone into a spaceship, and you're transported into the movie, to another time and place for a few hours.

You arrive back as the end credits roll and depart from the theatre, blinking in the blinding sunlight.

Sometimes it's a relief...sometimes it's a bit of a letdown.

* * *

Love is a funny thing. When the kids are small, you can't help but hold them and love them and hug them and tickle them -- be a kid with them.

Then they grow bigger and you find yourself holding back sometimes. For no real reason. Perhaps you suddenly feel shy. Or you don't want to have them think you're weak or their equal. Or maybe you get too busy. Who knows.

You forget to give them the same kind of love. You forget to be a kid with them still. You become Mom or Dad...instead of staying Mommy and Daddy...

"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time." ~John Lubbock

I saw the above quotation on another blog and was inspired when I realized that I never lay in the grass with my kids and watch the clouds go by. I'll have to do that sometime soon. I remember enjoying it as a kid...

2 comments:

Ami said...

I love that song too. :)

Susie said...

I know...I heard it again on your blog, Ami, and remembered how much I loved it! THANKS!