Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Technically Color



I know I've said it before, but I love photos!

Every year that it was published, I bought Life magazine's "Year in Pictures." It was an annual treat for me. And I loved poring over the various faces, scenes, places captured by the lens of the Life photographer.

Growing up in a "techni-color" world, I'm especially fascinated by black-and-white photos.

Perhaps it's my nostalgic side.

(As aside: I love old music, too, especially after I discovered a Glenn Miller record -- I know, I know. Not a large, black CD like my kids think records are but an actual LP -- in my parents' stereo cabinet.)

I used to spend hours going through the old photo albums from my dad's childhood days.

If I had enough money, I might even be an Ansel Adams junkie.

I guess it's because the lack of color forces us to use our imagination. The clothing can be any color. The scenery as bright as the gray tones allow -- it could be a sunny day or a cloudy day. The actor's eyes could be blue or brown or gray.

When newspapers changed to color, I was really disappointed. Somehow the black-and-white pages seemed to mark time better; without color meant it happened in the past...it captured a moment long gone.

*Sigh.*

Those days are gone...

But I discovered a feature on the photo software that came with my camera. It changes photos to black-and-white.

Technically they're color and not really old, but it's fun nonetheless, huh?

2 comments:

Angel at Aduladi' said...

Glenn Miller rocks. I have a couple cds and LPs! Surprise, surprise...

Unknown said...

I LOVE black-and-white photos. To me they are timeless. Color is also distracting sometimes. There are photos that you can see in color and bw and they will look totally different. If I could I would take all of my photos in bw but I know it won't go over well. :)