Thursday, June 28, 2007

Going, Going, Gone


I certainly enjoy -- scratch that -- LOVE viewing other friend's photos of their kiddos. When I see their cherubic cuteness, it reminds me of my little people when they were even smaller little people...but it also reminds me that those days are gone.

Amazingly fast.

There was a part of me that "couldn't wait" for the next stage, to see how the kids would change and grow and develop. And I'm definitely enjoying that now.

And there's definitely a freedom in knowing the kids can do most things for themselves -- if I let them, of course. *grin*

But I realize I can never, ever go back to the days when they were smaller.

*sigh*

From an excerpt by Paul Reiser in the Hollywood Dads book:

...it is a game. A really fast game, too. I mean, not to get all "Sunrise, Sunset"-y here, but no kidding -- it really does go unbelievable fast. And you'd think knowing that in advance helps, but it doesn't. Everything -- the good stuff, the bad stuff, the hard stuff -- it all ultimately goes away. It evaporates, with no clear warning. One day you just notice, "Hey, you stopped doing that thing where you drop your shorts and sit on your brother's head. I guess we've moved on. Good." But the things you like fly away, too. "Hey, you stopped asking me to read you bedtime books. Hmm...I guess that's over." Or, "Hey, you don't waddle when you run anymore -- you run like a big kid now. When did that happen?" The changes are so imperceptible. But, I suppose, how else could it be? Your kids are never going to tell you in advance, "You know how I can't get off the sofa without jumping over the coffee table and banging my knee everytime? I'll be outgrowing that next month. And also, the fascination with boogers? End of July -- done." It never works like that. Nowhere along the growth curve do kids announce, "Dad, Mom, y'see this little fleshy part of my thigh that's soft and still somewhat toddler-esque? Well, take a good look, because that's all changing. Wednesday at three." No one tells you that, but come Wednesday, sure enough, it's gone.

So, as it turns out, my father did know what he was doing. His game plan was simple, but on-the-money. "You be the best kid you can be, I'll be the best father I can be, and let's see what happens." And "what happens" is ping, ping, ping, ping, ping! Front seat, back seat -- makes no difference. Every day it's something. Nobody leaves here un-pinged. But in the end, they're all good pings. And when you realize that anything and everything could be gone by Wednesday, all you can do, I've decided, is to really try to pay attention Tuesday.

* * *

Hang on tight!

And when you need to rest, to reflect on how big your kiddos have gotten to be compared to other friends' little ones...I'll be here.

We can reflect together.

3 comments:

Angel at Aduladi' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angel at Aduladi' said...

My last comment had to be deleted as it was riddled with typos. So what I meant to type was...

Sniff sniff! It's all too much to bear isn't it? I held a one year old today and got all nostalgic. Sigh!

Susie said...

It doesn't take much, does it? :o)