Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Water Shed

[waah-der] versus [waw-ter]

In The Canterville Ghost Oscar Wilde wrote: "We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language." In a 1951 book of quotations, and without attributing a source, George Bernard Shaw was credited with saying: "England and America are two countries separated by the same language."

My hubby and I have learned that firsthand throughout our marriage...and his dealings with the public.

I love language. I love lingo, slang, accents, everything to do with lexiconography (is that a word?). When I lived in England I learned very quickly that language -- even a common one -- can create a barrier. I also learned that I don't speak English...I speak American English. There are many, many words that mean completely different things. I'll leave it at that. LOL! I basically had to change my way of talking in order to be understood. Soon enough I began to "sound" English...at least to people who didn't know me well.

Well, fast-forward five years and switch sides of the Big Pond and you had my hubby facing the same problem. He's been here 11 years. Most British people think he sounds American now. But in the beginning I actually had to "translate" for him. Funny, huh? We speak the same language -- for the most part -- and I became his translator.

The funniest word he had troubles with was WATER. He pronounced it [waw-ter] in an area that says [waah-der]. People looked at him in complete confusion. One salesclerk actually asked if he wanted a wheelchair. When he closed his eyes, sucked in his breath, and said it in the local "dialect," she asked if he wanted ice with it.

I just tell him people are mesmerized by his accent...no one actually listens to what you're saying anyway. That sounds good, right? Right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even though he was very educated (had his phd. in theology) and had been in the States since the 20s, I usually had to translate for people with my Great Grandfather with his thick Glascow accent. I never quite understood why they did not understand him, he made perfect sense to me!