Monday, July 31, 2006

Melancholic Mindset

--------------------

--------------------

I'm such a sucker for sad things: sad songs, sad movies, sad books. I wonder what makes these things so compelling to me? I figure it must be the "writer" in me. I love melancholy and poignancy. I told my hubby this morning that I miss England. When he asked me why, I thought about it and said lots of great writers came out of England. I think it has something to do with the climate.

I just finished watching Behind the Red Door (the proof is on my tear-stained face), and while there are subtle themes I don't agree with, the overall theme of the movie is beautiful. It's about reconciliation; the reconciliation of a dying man and his sister, who together face their family's violent past and find peace in their lives. It's handled delicately and sweetly, with a great soundtrack to boot. And the metamorphosis in their relationship is poignant.

Several things struck me while watching it. If we knew the exact moment of death, or at least knew we had a certain number of days to live, how would we look at everyday things differently? Would we marvel more at sunsets, snowstorms, budding flowers, enjoy the simple stuff more? And would we treasure our loved ones more, knowing that we only had a finite amount of time left with them?

My favorite scene comes just before the main character, Roy, dies. He's sitting with his sister in the above shot and says, "I love you dearly, Natalie." It was something he had struggled to say to her all of their lives. It was something he had wanted more than anything to hear from his father all of his life. Earlier in the movie, as he is "talking" to God, he says that he would give everything he has (and he's very affluent) just to have a father who once said, "Son, I love you."

I wonder why it sometimes takes death to make us cherish that which we have now?

A memorable quote:

Natalie: It just seems so unfair, you know? I mean, if I have to do this family thing, shouldn't I get to experience some of the good stuff, too?
Julia: Well, who says the family thing has any rules? Wasn't it you who said, "Happy families are always happy in the same way", and...
Natalie: ..."every unhappy family sucks in a different way"? No, that was Tolstoy.
Julia: Well, gotta love those Russians.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say that I enjoyed last night's movie. I really didn't think that I would, but shows what I know sometimes. Thanks for sharing it with me!

XXX!
A.

Susie said...

You're the greatest! :o)

Anonymous said...

No, that would be you! :D

A.