Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Pretty in Plaid...or Paisley?


Gotta love the look of the 70s. We look back at our photos and laugh (or cringe) at some of the outfits we wore. (Doesn't my hubby look adorable in his retro outfit?) Remember the plaids, paisleys, and stripes with rick-rack trim in mustard, plum, and avocado colors? My mom had a shirt with lines of black and red horses on a gold background. I loved that shirt.

Mom is always laughing at the outfits she put us in. Being the youngest of three girls, I ended up with at least two to three seasons of the same outfit since she usually matched at least two of us. But back then it was all we knew. We were semi-stylish, I guess.

But then again it wasn't about being in style. It was all about being a kid. We didn't care so much about what we looked like. We just enjoyed being kids and having fun. (Does anyone remember playing "Colored Eggs" or "TV Tag"? I was watching the movie Flatliners the other day and heard a line that took me right back to the past: "Ollie ollie oxenfree!" Do you remember that? It was almost haunting!)

I remember one of my favorite things was getting a new pair of Keds sneakers...usually red with the little rubber toe protectors. Those new sneaks gave me "super powers" and helped me run really fast! I could outrun my friends and any imaginary monsters! I could race the wind or a thunderstorm! With the help of a roll of Smarties, I could hurry even faster to make it to the ice cream truck...

Now that's the power of style!

No comments: