Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Another Confessional...

Edward in his less-discerning days of eating
So as I scraped the bits of rolled oats off the top of the bread for my son's sandwich, I thought: At what point is not saying something the same as lying?

Hmm...

Edward can be a picky eater. That's not to say he gets away with it. I'm not a short-order cook so he eats what the rest of us eat. And he is a good eater...as long as he doesn't always know the name of what we're eating.

Enter another "confessional," of sorts...

We had a lovely salad for dinner on Sunday evening. It was made with baby spinach, red leaf lettuce, chicken, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, and all sorts of sliced up veggies. Edward doesn't like spinach -- at all. But he loved this salad and had two helpings. So did I tell him it was spinach? Nah. It was a special type of "lettuce" as far as he was concerned.

Then take today's bread. He's been opposed to the idea of "oatmeal bread," thinking that it's made with cooked oatmeal mashed into the bread. He wouldn't touch it on Sunday when we had it toasted with our eggs. But it's very good. (We got it from a local market where it was baked from scratch.) So I scraped off the few pieces of rolled oats, and voila! Yummy bread, right?

So far so good.

I've found the less he knows about what he's eating, the more likely he is to try it...though our household's "one-bite" rule helps in that regard, too.

We made Chinese cabbage for dinner once. He didn't like the look of it, even though he loves cooked cabbage. One bite later and he was hooked...enough to want three helpings. This is how he discovered he loves leeks, Brussels sprouts, and lots of other goodies.

Just one bite and a considerable lack of knowledge concerning what he's eating...

I guess that's why Dr. Seuss wrote his book Green Eggs and Ham.

So back to my quandary.

Do I change my ways? Confess what the food is really?

Hmm...

Well, if he asks...yes, I guess.

But otherwise? Nah.

We parents have to keeps some "weapons" in our armory.

Besides, his tongue knows the truth...and I'm okay with that. *wink*

2 comments:

Angel at Aduladi' said...

Definitely no lie of omission. It is simply a "Momma secret", of which we are entitled 324,811 and once those run out we are allowed to share them with other Mommas at our discretion.

It's the law, I swear...

Anonymous said...

Why leave yourself only two options? Maybe a third is tell him, but not now...

Later he might think "Oh wasn't so bad after all."

Any ideas for what to do with a picky husband?