Wednesday, April 23, 2008

St. George's Day Food (and Fun)

Happy St. George's Day!

In case you don't know anything about the patron saint of England, you can go here, or keep reading...

According to my born-and-raised-in-England-and-veritable-St.-George's-Day-food-expert husband:

Did you know that as well as slaying the dragon and being patron saint of England, he also invented hot wings?

Well, the first hot wings were dragon wings, of course, and each one would feed a village! (The hot pepper sauce was to commemorate the dragon's fiery breath). Unfortunately, as time went on, dragon meat was seldom available at Saensburryes, Tesscoes, or even AszDah/Wallemaerte, and so chicken wings were substituted.

Incredible, huh?

*wink*

Cry God for Harry, England, and St. George!

4 comments:

Stuart said...

And to think, most people think that hot wings came from Buffalo, NY!

Susie said...

I know it. Who'd have thunk it? *wink*

Anonymous said...

When I lived over there, I used to love teawurst on toast. And loved it for about a year until someone told me what was in it. Now I just work hard to suppress the thought while eating it. :-)

Angel at Aduladi' said...

Those must have been some wings since King Henry VIII allowed St George's Day to still be celebrated back in his reign, even after banning every other "Saint Day" and "Saint" celebration once he had broken away from Rome and the Catholic Church. Based on his size when he died, he must have enjoyed those wings quite a bit, LOL!

Okay my brain is tired now, I can only spew forth one random fact a day.