Friday, May 25, 2012

16 Lessons Learned in Marriage


Today, my honey and I celebrate 16 years of wedded bliss.

16.

Sixteen.

We've known each other for 24 years this year -- dating for roughly 23 of those. (The first year we just giggled at each other -- one thinking the other was a geek and the other thinking the one was a snob...I'll let you guess who's is who.)

It's amazing to think that 16 years have passed since we said our "I do"s...16 years since I walked down the aisle promising myself that I would remember every second of it...and I WOULD. NOT. CRY...hmm...


In honor of the 16 years, I decided to compile a list of 16 "lessons" (really) learned during our years of marriage.

Ready? Here goes:
  1. Don't take yourself too seriously.
  2. Love doesn't make the world go 'round...but it helps.
  3. Never stop making time for each other.
  4. Fights happen.
  5. When fights happen...make cookies.
  6. Be honest with each other.
  7. Never give in to the attitude of the world. Marriage is hard work but very much worth it.
  8. Marriage before kids is...."boring."
  9. No matter how well you thought you knew yourself before marriage...you didn't.
  10. Time apart is sometimes necessary...and healthy.
  11. Take time to remember your dating years.
  12. Share your stories and experiences -- both good and bad -- with your children.
  13. Realize -- and accept -- that you're going to make mistakes.
  14. Have fun together.
  15. Remember the "good ol' days"...because you're living them now.
  16. Always be your spouse's BFF.

2 comments:

LisaS said...

Forgive "flaws"
Appreciate even the smallest act of kindness

Susie said...

Absolutely, Lisa!! So much to learn and enjoy in marriage, right? :)