Thursday, May 07, 2009

H"art"ily Arty

Edward (center, in yellow) up on stage, waiting for the rest of his class so they can sing.

Yesterday marked the end of another year at our homeschool learning group.

The kids put on a little art show, and then the first and second graders sang some songs for everyone, and the kindergarteners "graduated." Edward -- our never-shy-at-all-now guy -- introduced one of the songs. I told him I was surprised to see him up there again, and he said that when they asked for volunteers he raised his hand so high he nearly touched the ceiling.



It's amazing and exciting to watch all the kids grow during the year. And, while it was fun, the end-of-year show was a transition time for Emily and Edward, too. A time to say goodbye. They both will be changing grade levels in the group, meaning new teachers and classes next Fall.

Out with the old (sadly)...in with the new (eagerly)?

* * *

On another note, my three high school journalism students finished their year with pride, folding and distributing their first-and-only newspaper. And I thought they did an awesome job. It made me proud when they told me how much they felt they'd learned this year, especially about how much is involved in making a newspaper. Like last year's crew, I can say without a doubt that I definitely saw learning going on...especially after they all "aced" their final exam!

No comments: