Thursday, May 08, 2008

Artful End Notes

All good things must come to an end, I guess.

Yesterday was the last of our homeschool learning group, and it included an art show and end-of-year program to give parents an idea of all the students had learned during the year.

Edward's class sang three songs related to the Americana theme of art and music for the year, and he even introduced one of them (with flying colors...no pun intended) -- "This Land Is Your Land," his favorite-most song. After describing my son as a "shy guy" for most of the past 7 years, you'll know that this was quite a feat for him and made me burst with pride (and, okay, okay, maybe a few tears) watching him. (Darn pregnancy hormones!) I guess the "bud" has bloomed, so to speak. *wink*

Emily's class sang a wonderful rendition of "The Lord Is My Shepherd." They sang it so beautifully that it brought tears to my eyes listening to it. (Darn the still-more pregnancy hormones!) *grin*

Both kids were excited to show me their artwork, which we are now proudly exhibiting at home.


All in all, it was a wonderful program.

* * *

On another note, my high school journalism students finished their year with pride, folding and distributing their second newspaper. And I thought they did an awesome job. It made me proud when they told me how much they felt they'd learned this year. I can say without a doubt that I definitely saw learning going on.

4 comments:

Mom Watch said...

We are headed tonight to an end of the year program similar to this with the new co-op we just joined for the next school year. (I am new to homeschooling--just since January). I might have to pick your brain this upcoming year as I plan to work with them on various writing projects.

It's amazing when you get to the end of the year (or in my case the end of the semester) and realize how much you have covered and how much your kids are growing right before your eyes! My son "used to be" the shy one--now he is more outgoing than even I. Great photos!

Susie said...

Thank you! And I hope you enjoy your program, Eve!

Are you homeschooling both kids? I remembered reading on your blog that you had your son at home, but I wasn't sure if you were teaching your daughter, too.

It is, so much fun to have a frontseat in watching them grow and learn, isn't it? We're finishing up our 6th year of doing this, and I have to say that even with the ups and downs I never tire of hearing my children exclaim how much they love a certain subject...esp. if said subject was one they hated only a few weeks earlier. LOL!

And you can pick my brain anytime. It's fun to share ideas with each other! :o)

Jadie said...

Schooling your children at home is not possible in my country. I love to read how that goes Susie. I think you're doing very well in teaching them all those life lessons.
I love the art your kids made, they are very creative!!!

Mom Watch said...

Hi again, Susie! Yes, right now I am just homeschooling my 6th grader, Landon. I may pull Ellie out next year--I am not sure yet. I still have a few concerns about schooling both of them since my son really needs the majority of my time. SHe is doing very well right now--and I am afraid that if I pull her out that I won't be able to give her all the attention she needs. I know it is possible--but because I am so new I am taking baby steps--lol!