Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Monday Musings

Happy Monday to you! And Happy Memorial Day!

I hope you've enjoyed your three-day weekend!

Our Saturday was spent outside, doing some much needed yardwork. I cannot believe how jungle-like the yard had become! We did some weeding, some trimming, and some mulching. It's amazing how a couple of hours of work brought some tameness to it all. Unfortunately, I paid for it later on with my allergies...but that will change soon enough.

We had a lovely anniversary -- beautiful weather especially -- and are so grateful for all the anniversary wishes!! Thank you!

It was a fairly relaxed day. After church and lunch at Pizza Hut with the kids, we enjoyed time alone at Barnes & Noble and Target, followed by dinner at Red Lobster...and later in the evening, the movie P. S. I Love You. I won't say any more about that picture than "Wooof!" Excellent movie!! Box of tissues mandatory.

A BIG thank you to all the service men and women -- including my hubby and my father -- who have given of their time and energy to keep our country and our world safe! That's the point of this holiday, right?

You know how there are things in life you never expect to hear out loud? Ever? Heard this weekend from our 10-year-old daughter: "Daddy, I was playing with my brain, and it got stuck on the ceiling. Could you please help me get it down?" Head-scratching, I know...until I explain that Emily received a sticky, rubber "brain" novelty gift from Stuart's company when she went in for "Take Your Child to Work" day. Makes more sense like that, right? *grin*

We watched the old show Make Room for Daddy with the kids for our weekly dinner-and-a-movie night. It's been fun introducing them to the old movies and shows and seeing how much they enjoy them. This particular DVD even had the original 1955 commercials for Pall Mall cigarettes and Dodge cars. Hmm.... We had some discussion about how the tobacco and advertising industries glamorized cigarette use in the days before they realized how bad they really were for everyone.

A brain teaser for you from our Page-a-Day Mensa calendar:

You look at the time and realize that if it were two hours earlier, it would be three times as long before midnight as it would be two hours from now.

What time is it now?

We're off to "picnic" at my sister's house.

No comments: