Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Solitaire Refinement (Updated)

Call us "old-fashioned," but we gave the kids each a deck of real cards for Christmas.

Okay. Okay. They're shaped and have Disney Princesses and Spiderman on them, but they are actual plastic-coated paper cards.

Tangible.

No plugs, cords, or keyboards required.

I was a veritable "card shark" by the time I was 4...my next-oldest sister having taught me various card games in the hopes of "creaming" me. Too bad for her I turned out to be a pretty good opponent. *wink*

Then my mom taught me lots of versions of Solitaire in order to occupy my downtime in the long, hot summers.

So this morning I decided to teach the kids to play the same-said game....

Edward mentioned that he'd only ever seen Daddy playing Solitaire on the computer. I don't think he realized it could be played anywhere else.

So I'm teaching them this age-old tradition of playing with real cards...on a real table.

Hmmm....wish me luck.

There's no mouse to click...and they have to move the cards themselves.

Hey, if nothing else, it counts as math, right? *wink*

* * *

UPDATE:
The kids have moved on to "double Solitaire" -- in a competition of Spidey versus Princesses....they're ambitious.

UPDATE on the UPDATE:
Okay....they're definitely not ready for "doubles".... They need a whole lot of refinement in the individual sport before they move on to competition. *grin*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just came over from Elizabeth's blog - and wanted to leave a comment! I think cards are wonderful gifts to give to your children! I grew up playing so many games with my family, including cards (our favorite being "Rook") and I am so thankful my parents encouraged the games & competition. Any time my family comes, we always play games still! We look forward to our little one, Raymond (age 1 1/2) to be able to play with us! :)
Happy new year!

Susie said...

We LOVE games, Randi! LOL! I grew up playing them with my family and friends, too. We learned all sorts of nifty card games and had a ton of boardgames (still do).

Now, we're passing the tradition on to our kids. We get new games each Christmas to add to the collection. :o) Great family time!!

Susie said...

P.S. Your little guy is precious!! :o)