Thursday, January 17, 2008

Much Adieu About Something Out of Nothing

Cliches.

They're a funny thing.

...as are metaphors and puns.

I'm not very good at them and have had troubles with mixed metaphors and misspoken cliches for much of my life. And puns only pop out when I'm not trying to think of them.

For example, I thought the expression "to each his own" was really "to reach his own."

And "pot calling the kettle black" was really "pot coal and the kettle black."

I wouldn't have made a very good sports reporter because during my sports writing class I was constantly being called on my mixed metaphors.

The game began on a rocky road for the team, but it soon led them to clear sailing in the final quarter....or something similar.

Hmm...

Which leads me to today's thought...

My hubby, my best bud and the "editor/first reader" (most of the time) of my blog, IMed to ask about the word "adieu."

I'd used it in my blog with the expression "without further adieu." The word I had wanted was "ado." Duh, me. As in much ado about nothing... Not, the farewell of adieu.

A little play on words? Nah, just a little mistake, caught by someone who loves me and knows my analness with words. *grin*

So I won't make much ado about something out of nothing or a pig's ear out of a silk purse...

I'll bid you adieu...before I mixed more metaphors!

No comments: