Monday, January 07, 2008

Monday Musings Afresh

Hmm... Will Season 7 of 24 ever start? Photo thanks to BennyBlog.
Happy Monday! And welcome to the first Monday Musings in the first full week of 2008!

A new day, new week, new year! Wow!

And another new number to write on my checks. *sigh*

I hope you enjoyed your Christmas and New Year's holidays. We enjoyed ours and now life is settling back into our usual routine. Sometimes that feels good after the excitement and hubbub around the holidays.

So still no 24 on the schedule.... *weep... gnash... grrr... sigh* It's so hard to think that months ago we were all counting down to next Sunday's date...for the big Season 7 premiere. Oh, well. I'm working through Seasons 1-6 again, and we're catching up on the other shows we enjoy, as well as a few movies -- old and new.

We started school again today. I decided to give the kids a few extra days off since they were ahead in their studies and needed a rest from the busyness of the holiday season. Plus, it made it easier for me to start up their new weekly units. *wink* (A method in my madness, no?)

They start French this month. I'm not sure how much they'll pick up at the beginning. The program our school uses is designed to be more like when babies first pick up language from hearing it spoken. It should be interesting since Stuart and I use that as our parental "code" language. We're scrambling to think of what language we can learn that can take its place as our "code" lingo. Portuguese tops the list, followed closely by German. Know of any good tutors?

We had an interesting Christmas Eve evening. Stuart was asked to read the Christmas story from the Bible at church, and on his way up to the mic for a sound check before the service, I saw that he had a huge rip in the seat of his pants. Hmmm.... Let's just say that Scotch tape doesn't work well on cloth material. After surreptitiously walking to the front and slinking back out, Stuart managed to keep from showing off his BVDs.

Funny how different our ears can be. The kids and I were listening to music last week during their various Solitaire games, and Emily finally blurted out during one song, "Who is Mr. Simon and why do they want him to come?" I laughed and explained it was "Mr. Sandman," and they wanted him to come and help them go to sleep so they could have sweet dreams.

Then she was singing along with the Beatles and their "Yellow Submarine" song, saying, "We all leave in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine... But where are they going when they leave?" *grin*

Edward was so tired tonight that he came down and asked when I was coming to tuck him in and say prayers with him. (He and his sister were allowed to read before "lights out" tonight.) So I hurried up to kiss him goodnight and put him to bed.

Stuart didn't have the chance to get upstairs for another half-hour, and I told him the kids were probably asleep already. Apparently, Emily was indeed sleeping, but Edward was bright-eyed when Stuart entered his room. Stuart told him that he thought he'd be asleep already to which Edward replied, "I was waiting for you." *sniff-grin-sniff*

Since tons of chocolate, mountains of cookies, and a Boxing Day feast wreaked havoc on our waistlines, Stuart, my mom, and I decided to do a virtual walking "race" to Los Angeles. Stuart mapped the mileage, and we just have to keep track of how much we walk. We all agreed it should be fun. Now to get started... Stuart already has. *gulp*

I was driving through R-City today, and as I sat at a particularly long light I started to look around at the various people in my vision field. I thought about my day and the plans I had for the rest of the afternoon and evening...and I wondered what was on their minds.

What thoughts and plans filled their noggins?

Everyone has a story. Be it a good or bad one...it's still a story. The plot and soundtrack as unique as the individual him/herself. Well, there are a few themes that seem to run through most people's lives. We all live in our own little soap opera, right?

It always brings a new perspective to my mind...knowing that I'm not the only one in this world, walking about with ideas and plans bouncing around in my head.

Whenever I moved from a particular area when I was young, I imagined that life stopped. Just like a show when an episode stops for the week. In my mind, people froze in time so that if I went back to visit one day everything would be exactly the same...except me, of course.

I came to realize that was silly to think, but it was a hard reality for me to accept.

I just hate change. *wink*

* * *

5 THINGS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT
• a buffet spread
• Elmer’s glue and glitter
• mah jong games
• breathing deeply
• reading Goodnight Moon

* * *

Sometimes I find a list with five things I love. This was one of them. That makes it really hard to pull out just one item to muse about.

But I'll do my best....though now I want to break out the glue and glitter (just plain crazy, I know) to makes something artsy and fun.

I'm probably the only parent living who never understood the storyline of Goodnight Moon.

(Okay, maybe I'm the only one willing to admit it.)

I blame it on the poor punctuation in the title. I didn't realize that the "speaker" in the book was bidding goodnight to the moon, as in "Goodnight, Moon."

Nor did I realize that the whole thing was one big stall tactic.

Duh, me.

The child speaker is saying goodnight to everything in the room and then in the outer world in an effort to keep from having to go to sleep.

I kept thinking that it was just a whimsical way to say goodnight...and I was ready to smack the kid and say, "Stop talking and go to sleep!"

Okay, okay...I'm not really that violent.

But I didn't really like the book at first. I thought it was dumb. I didn't understand all the hype.

Then when I heard that it was just an effort to delay a visit from Mr. Sandman, I laughed and enjoyed it.

Perspective, right?

Goodnight, Moon! Goodnight, gentle reader.

No comments: