Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Just Wait...

"I've noticed that one thing about parents is that no matter what stage your child is in, the parents who have older children always tell you the next stage is worse." ~Dave Barry

Isn't the above quotation SO true??

When we first had Emily, we enjoyed all aspects of her -- from her ticklish tummy to her funny faces to her crying bouts. She really was such a good baby. She napped fairly well and was a good eater. And apart from the normal round of illnesses babies pick up and "hiccups" along the way, we couldn't complain.

Then came the pessimists. "Just wait," they groaned. "The toddler times are awful!" It sent a shiver of dread to the depths of my toes.

But the toddler years did come, and I was determined to find something positive to celebrate about them...and there was lots and lots. As several noteworthy child psychologists say, "Make them the Terrific Twos." We survived with banners raised high.

Even when we added Edward to the mix. It was an adjustment (so are LOTS of things in life.), but we were blessed. He was another good baby -- despite my grandmother predicting the opposite to happen -- and we enjoyed him immensely. (Apparently you can only have one "good" baby in a lifetime. LOL!)

And the pessimists returned. "Oh, wait 'til they begin to fight." Hmmm... Both my hubby and I come from families with three kids. Both of us survived sibling rivalry. We knew (and continue to know) by God's grace we'd survive this. And the kids adore each other...most of the time. *Ü*
Now, the pessimists are crowing about the "teen years." And I'm filled with that same dread as in the early years...only this time it's because I don't want the time to rush by so quickly.

I'm not ready to think of them being in their teen years, farther still from the early times.

I once heard a comedian describe a teenager's stages as the same as a toddler's just add 10 years. (After teaching teens, I tend to agree.) That makes it seem not so bad, right?

You know, I don't know about you, but I still remember being a teen. (I guess those gray cells aren't as bad as I thought.) I remember wanting to be loved even when I felt unlovable. To be listened to and respected. To feel like I was worth something and could contribute to the world around me -- even if it was just my opinion. Hopefully, all those memories will come in handy.

I try very hard not to participate in this prophetic "dooms-daying." (I know it can be hard to resist.) I want to enjoy every stage of my children's lives without worrying about the next stage. I want to savor the time with them NOW and not worry about what hasn't happened.

Afterall, I'm not in that stage yet...and who knows how I'll be by then.

No comments: