Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Proud to Be an American

**The flag Edward designed in art class**
During a science lesson on "Taking Care of Our World" yesterday, Edward and I were learning about pollution and how to prevent it.

The lesson involved a story about "Billy the Bass" who lived in a wonderfully clear stream...that wasn't always that way. (Insert sinister music here.)

Okay. Okay. A little too simplistic, but Edward got the point.

The lesson continued by teaching us how people pollute streams by leaving their trash around instead of...throwing it in the trashcan. It even had an experiment to show how that happens.

All in all, it was a great way to say: Don't Pollute!

At the end of the lesson, I asked Edward what the people could do to help "Billy the Bass." He said all the appropriate answers about throwing out their trash and using less paper products.

Then he added in his usual deadpan way, "They could eat him."

Hmmm....I don't think that's what the K12 curriculum developers had in mind.

* * *

On another note, I love the song I currently have playing on my sidebar video box-thingy(?).

Before I was married and when I'd just started working for the newspaper, I had to find a second job to make ends meet (I certainly can't say I became a journalist for the money). Since I worked in the afternoon/evenings for the newspaper, I found a job in the morning, working for a daycare center as a preschool assistant teacher.

What a hoot!

It was definitely a good form of "birth control" (also read as: I didn't want any children).

Towards the end of the year, the preschoolers prepared for their end-of-year program, in which they would be singing "God Bless the U.S.A." among other songs.

I loved listening to their sweet voices and seeing their cherubic faces as they fervently practiced this song. They didn't know all the words correctly and some sang very off-key, but you never saw a more earnest and patriotic group of 4- and 5-year-olds!

My favorite "incorrect" line: "And I won't forget the MAN who died to give that right to me..."

Ironic, huh?

No comments: