Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Not the Mama!

Do you remember in the show Dinosaurs when the little baby dinosaur would hit the father and shout, "Not the mama! Not the mama!" While I didn't regularly watch the show that segment always made me chuckle -- especially given the fact that I'm the youngest of three girls.... No need to say more.

Nothing jogs the old mental scrapbook more than watching something -- good or bad -- between your children. Somehow an incident can resurrect feelings you thought were long-forgotten. My husband thinks it's quite funny how I can remember trivial incidents from when I was younger... I think it's frustrating that he can't.

So we're sitting in church one Sunday morning, and the woman in charge of Jr. Church comes over and explains that Edward is having a "meltdown." Apparently something in the format was changed, and he got "stubborn." Emily then took it upon herself to correct him, and the rest went down in flames.

It's funny how the older child can take something you've said to the younger child and decide it is her job to enforce it. (Kinda "threatens" my maternal job security.) But that's exactly what Emily decided to do. Since Edward didn't want to "participate" (I guess it didn't matter that he hadn't done so up 'til this point), she decided it was "high time" and tried to force him. Not a pleasant moment for either of them....or the Jr. Church staff.

All we could say afterwards was: "Not the mama! Not the mama!"

Give it 15 years or more...at least.

No comments: