Wednesday, September 06, 2006

On Getting a Tan...

Okay, so I'm sitting outside in the sun, trying to get a tan. (Isn't that one of the points of going to the beach?)

5 minutes....I'm sweating. Am I tan yet? My book is okay -- not great, but interesting enough. 10 minutes. I feel like my skin is sizzling. No change. I'm humming the song to Jeopardy. 25 minutes. I think I'm going to pass out from the heat. How fun is this??

Not very.

Vanity....vanity.

An aside: When I was in high school, I tried to "lay out" in the sun -- to turn a golden shade of brown and put blonde highlights in my hair. Remember the baby oil and lemon juice regiment? I usually lasted about 12.2 minutes....

30 minutes...this is really boring. (Did I mention that already?) My eyes are blurring. 40 minutes. The kids are looking kind of red. Maybe we should go inside... Move a strap. Tan yet? 45 minutes. I'm parched.

Okay...okay.... Enough is enough. And I've had enough. Being tan isn't worth it. I'll stick with "library pallor"...

...for now.

Afterall, beauty isn't without its pains. And we are at the beach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try "Taninajar." Only $7.99 at WalMart, (or $79.99 at Macy's). Easy application (get your husband to rub it in), and guaranteed to probably not turn you orange.

XXX!
A.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I love that demure "whiter than chalk look"! Just remember, way back in the day your dainty complexion was a sign of wealth and social grace. Tans were for farmers and field hands. So grab some ice tea, pop on a hat and strive for the Scarlett O'Hara look! Okay, so maybe I am just jealous that my Scottish/Indian skin tans and freckles all at the same time and I tend to look like a deranged leopard with copper skin!

Anyway, come home soon! This overlapping vacations thing really bites!

Much love to all four of you!
Angel