Thursday, September 07, 2006

More on Tanning...

When I was younger I was the "queen" of sun. My sister used to say that if anyone even mentioned the word "sunshine" I would turn tan. It seemed like such an easy task then. But then I didn't care an iota about turning brown. It was just my "summer color."

So I'm still at it.

We have one more day here at the beach, and I'm determined to go home a different shade of brown than I started with. So far I've got a bit of a tan on my arms and legs and something similar to a cooked lobster's tail on my shoulders.

Back in my glorious tan days, who would have thought it would take so much work to get just that much??

I was thinking to myself this afternoon as I toasted: at what point in my life did I decide I actually wanted to get a tan? Because that would be the moment it ceased to be so easy.

You know, as a kid you were running around, playing outside in the grass or wading pool. You were too busy to realize you were getting a "healthy glow" that rivaled a Malibu Barbie doll's.

Oh, for days gone by...

Until then, I'll have take the slow, boring route to golden brown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just like you, when I was young I was a dark tan all summer without trying. Now, forget it. I get hot, feel faint, and have recently started sitting under an umbrella (imagine!) This summer I managed to get a tiny tan, but most of the time I sat in the shade doing crosswords. I even bought self-tanner, which just sat on a shelf all summer. I've come to love my paleness, I guess!

Kelly (aka "Granny" haha)