Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sweet Sunday

"Jerusalem" is one of the most haunting hymns I've ever heard. Based on a poem by William Blake (one of my favorite poets), this song was also featured in the movie "Chariots of Fire." I was thrilled to hear it again as a part of a medley in the Opening Ceremonies for the London Summer Olympic Games.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

 

Jerusalem


And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In England's green & pleasant land.

~William Blake

No comments: