Monday, August 24, 2009

100 Things...Part 1

I'm borrowing this idea from Jadie over at The World of Emilia. (It's a lot harder than you think...)

1. I was born in Silver Spring, Maryland.
2. The year was 1970.
3. Stamps cost 6 cents that year.
4. I was due to be born on October 9th -- my dad's birthday. I arrived on October 15th.
5. Years later, my daughter was due to be born on October 9th -- my dad's birthday. She arrived on October 15th -- my 27th birthday.
6. I am the youngest of three daughters.
7. At a very young age I was dubbed the "Dr. Doolittle" of my family since I would save bumblebees and flies from drowning in our pool.
8. I always thought that the "William Tell Overture" was called the "Lone Ranger Song" since it was the theme song to that show.
9. I used to hop around our basement on our Hoppity Horse to that song -- which was playing on a 45 record.
10. The Baltimore Orioles -- my favorite baseball team since I was 3 -- won the World Series the year I was born.
11. Before I got married, I moved more than 15 times...and I was only 24 years old.
12. I've moved twice since.
13. My sisters and I were all four years apart in school, graduating in 1980, 1984, and 1988.
14. I started writing stories when I was 8.
15. I never stopped.
16. I couldn't.
17. Up until 6th grade, I wanted to be a veterinarian.
18. My favorite subjects in school that year were math and science.
19. I was in the Gifted Program for math from 3rd to 5th grade.
20. I discovered Leonardo DaVinci in 6th grade and was utterly fascinated by him.
21. We still had rotary-dial telephones when I was little. I remember dialing my friends on it.
22. I also remember dialing the Operator.
23. And making prank calls about "Sir Albert in a can..." and noses running...
24. I loved Westerns and World War II movies when I was a young teenager.
25. I became passionate about the battles in Bataan and Corregidor.
26. I remember when Dr. Pepper was first offered at our McDonald's.
27. We got commemorative glasses from it.
28. Mine had Grimace on it.
29. My sister's had the Hamburglar.
30. I was the "Around the World" champion of math in my 3rd/4th-grade classroom.
31. No one could beat me...and that was exhilarating to me.
32. I got my favorite stuffed toy -- a big stuffed frog named "Flippo" -- for Christmas when I was 5.
33. He went everywhere with me and helped start my love of all things "froggy."
To be continued....

1 comment:

carebear said...

Cool - looking forward to the rest. I may have to do this. 100??? Well, maybe. :)