Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Future Events...

One of my favorite "B" movies is Plan 9 from Outer Space. Now, while Ed Wood meant it as a "serious" masterpiece, the filming, script, and continuity errors make it the complete opposite. (Sorry, Mr. Wood in the great beyond, but thanks for some great laughs.)

Anyways...

The narrator finishes the prologue by saying, "Future events such as these will happen in the future."

Nothing like being redundant and stating the obvious, huh?

Still...

I was reminded of that line this morning when I was watching/listening to my two sproglets at breakfast. As they ate and chatted together about nothing of consequence, I fast-forwarded 20 years and saw them as adults, sharing a fun moment together, each laughing at the other's stories, appreciating each other.

It's hard to remember that kids are humans from birth. When they're tiny they seem to be so dependent on us that they're more like little toys or even robots. We dress 'em up and sit 'em down and expect them to learn/know the rules from the first time we explain them.

Ha.

That would be nice, but it also would take away their sinful nature...and their human-ness.

I remember reading a line in a parenting book: "Walk a mile in their shoes." That was convicting, especially since I want them to fill my shoes already...know what's expected and do it.

As my kids grow older, I am reminded of how I felt at their particular ages. (Funny how memories can be distant and forgotten until God brings them to mind as a lesson for us...)

Sometimes when I back off far enough away to really observe my kids, I see that what I perceive as little pieces of my heart walking around are, in fact, whole new people with their own thoughts, dreams, and personalities.

Can I truly control that? More important, should I try?

Of course, I am the disciplinarian in their lives...the one that keeps them on the "straight and narrow," so to speak. But in doing that, I need to be careful to control behaviors -- not squash any part of who they are.

Okay. Okay. No advice columns or band wagons or soapboxes here. Just an observation I made this morning as I looked at my kids.

I sat back and saw the people they are becoming....and realized afresh how much I need to enjoy that.

Then "future events" really will be fun and exciting!

3 comments:

Angel at Aduladi' said...

I simply cannot fathom 20 years in the future with my kids. EXCEPT, I expect to be living it up on a beach somewhere, LOL!

Susie said...

It's such a surreal moment...and I often feel like an outsider peering in through a window. Funny, huh? You got an extra chair next to you on the beach?? :o) I'm so there.

Stuart said...

Thanks for the reminder that they ARE people, not just our kids.

XXX!
A.