Monday, August 20, 2007

Amusing Musings on Monday

Happy Monday to you! Another week begins...as another month nearly finishes.

We start school in two weeks. Hmmm...I guess I'd best get cracking on our schoolroom, huh? Emily starts 5th grade and Edward is going into 1st grade. Wowzers! I can hardly believe that!

I was invited to teach a journalism class again at our homeschool learning group this year. I'm excited as it gives me a chance to share a true passion of mine with the kids (and pay for our kids to be in the learning group). Now, let's hope I get some students.

Let's see...Monday night wings with another episode of The Closer. Stuart just finished watching the first season of Prison Break. I re watched some of it in between snoring. Season 2 comes out at the beginning of next month, but we're debating the costs of renting it versus buying it. It's not a show that I care to own, but... Still, Season 3 starts September 17th. We're hoping for one of Blockbuster's good coupons....or maybe we'll join an online video service temporarily. Hmmm...imagine the possibilities...

Speaking of new seasons...we heard that production on 24 has been delayed another two or three weeks. Makes me wonder if they'll be able to get it done by mid-January. They're usually a month into production by now. Grrrr.

Found the above funny photo tidbit on Amazon.com the other day. Can you spot the error? How can you offer an calendar of this actor (or any famous person) and NOT spell his name right on the cover art?? I'm just saying.

We had our 4-H picnic on Saturday. Emily enjoyed spending the time with several other club members and getting to swim in the frigid swimming pool. The woman who hosted the picnic has a bulldog kennel so we got to spend some time cuddling with an 8-week-old puppy. She was a-dorable! When Emily said we should get one for Buster to have a friend, (winking) we told her to ask how much they cost. Her eyes nearly popped out when Diane told her $2,500. Still, the puppy was fun to play with.

Our new friend, Chaucer, has been enjoying his new abode, we think. He certainly has made himself at home. "Mi casa es su casa" seems to be his motto at the moment. Now if I can just get him to stop trying to be my "turban" at night. *grin*

* * *

5 THINGS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT
• a day with family
• homemade macaroni and cheese
• gardens of the past
• rainbows reflecting off mirrors
making forts

* * *

The kids have enjoyed making forts under their beds this summer. Earlier in the season, Stuart's coworker gave us an IKEA bunkbed exactly like Emily's bed (except hers is the loftbed version) so now both kids have a place to make a hideaway/playplace.

They've only done it a handful of times, but each time it brought back memories of doing the same thing as a kid in my room and the basement rec room.

My sister and I had huge closets (I say huge because I was small) in the room we shared and made "homes" in them, journeying the short distance across the room to visit each other and "have tea." It was fun to knock on the closet door and be welcomed inside amongst the shoes, clothes, and doll things.

In our basement rec room, we would disassemble the chairs and use the cushions to make tunnels and tents. As long as we left things the way they started -- ie. neat and tidy -- we could do whatever we wanted down there.

That included me getting "married" three times by my sister and her friend!

"Ah, I remember it well..."

1 comment:

Stuart said...

I hear your "husband" was in it for the olives!