Thursday, August 30, 2007

Boys Will Be Boys

Toss out any and all magazine articles and scientific studies that tell us both genders are exactly the same and any differences are learned. A lot of money can be saved on these meaningless studies.

Here's an example of male sexism that has never been taught/learned at our house:

As I've said before, I'm a huge fan of Jude Cole and his music...as are my kids.

Today, we were discussing some of the words from the song "Joe" in which Jude sings, "Go to church on Sunday morning...come home and beat my wife."

The song is all about a man who does things he doesn't want to do -- and doesn't understand why he does them in the first place. The kids originally thought the line continued as, "Come home and feed my wife." Since that has a nicer sound to it, we've kiddingly kept that as the lyrics.

I reminded Edward of that today when we were talking about the word, "beating," and said I'm sure he'd much rather feed his wife.

Our little 6-and-a-half-year-old laughed and said, "I'm not going to feed my wife."

Stuart and I looked a bit perplexed until he continued, "She's going to feed me."

Then he remembered he isn't going to have a wife (*wink-wink* Come back in 20 years to see if anything's changed) so the whole conversation was moot.

My scientific conclusion? Boys will be boys and are born with such thoughts... We need to teach them otherwise.

Wow! Think of all the money I've just saved the government in having to figure that out.

2 comments:

Angel at Aduladi' said...

Go Edward! I am still laughing!

Susie said...

Yeh, well...I can't blog about what he did later in the day when he decided to wander around the house in a different "outfit" because he was hot. Emily was a bit embarrassed, to say the least! LOL! It's good that they keep us laughing, right?