Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Tuesday Tidbit Tidings

Happy Tuesday to you!

Since I took a pause in my normal Monday musings to share the sadness our household was experiencing, I decided to do my normal tidbit-update today.

We had a nice funeral for our kitty, complete with prayers, remembrances, and poems from Emily and the vet. We know that all of our loved ones -- furry or otherwise -- are only ours on "loan." We need to love and enjoy them every day! My favorite line in one of the poems: "Remember that angels are not allowed to show their wings on Earth, but there's no rule against whiskers!" She was our gentle, furry "angel." And we'll always remember her.

Stuart arrived home from Brasil on Friday afternoon amidst lots of whoops and dances of joy -- even the dog joined in. We were glad he came home a day early since they were predicting a cyclone in Macae, the area where he was staying. Plus, the following night brought a ground radar failure to Brazil, diverting 11 airplanes to the closest airports, including one in the jungle. (I guess the kids would have gotten their wish for their daddy to see the Amazon Rain Forest.) Yet, there he was at home, safe and sound!

The Tooth Fairy still hasn't visited our house...despite the fact that Emily lost another tooth. Edward still doesn't want to part with his tooth. *giggle* If only we could tell him....

The weather has been kind again and allowed us a few more days of cool weather (read: no A/C!). Amazing for July when we're usually suffering through the heat and humidity... (Of course, I'll probably jinx us now that I'm typing this.) I can hear the PPL employees crying and gnashing their teeth. Perhaps they'll begin doing a heat dance?

Getting closer to the new season of 24...we hope...if the network and critics will let them write and film it. There has been so much bad publicity about this show. "Everyone" felt it was the worst season ever, and the show is going down the drain, etc... Funny how I haven't met anyone who feels that way. (Isn't a popular show allowed to have some "off" moments? I'm just saying...) Oh, well. Down, Susie, down....

* * *

5 THINGS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT
• low airfares
• perfect pool water
• falling asleep in a hammock
• your favorite inflatable beach toy
sailing

* * *

Growing up outside of Annapolis, Maryland, for a 4-year-ish portion of my life, we lived near a creek (a.k.a. river in PA) that fed into the Chesapeake Bay. Because the creek was so close to our house, my parents (a.k.a. my dad) decided to buy a sailboat.

Prior to my birth, my dad had spent 6 years in the Navy, as an officer on a submarine. He had water in his blood (not literally, of course, or this would be a very different story) and felt he was predestined to be captain of something. (My mom might have felt otherwise.) So he purchased a sailboat and named it the "Kathie B." in honor of my mom -- or to appease her?

I'm not sure we were truly a seafaring family -- my memories are sketchy at best (I was only 5 at the time) -- because somehow we didn't own that boat -- or its successor, the "Kathie B. II," for long.

But I do remember several interesting sailing adventures which included getting stuck in a sandbar, having to balance the boat by running from one side to the next and back again...and being stopped by the "water police."
Apparently, my father hadn't renewed his owner's card on the boat...or hadn't put the new numbers on the sail, or something like that. All I knew was that the "police" had stopped us, and I thought he was being taken into custody.

My famous quote at the time was: "I knewed it. I knewed it. I knewed my daddy was going to get arrested." To which, the "water policeman" burst out laughing and gave a verbal warning instead of a ticket.

Good thing I was such a fan of Adam 12. I know my dad was glad!

No comments: