Thursday, February 01, 2007

A Yabba-Dabba-Doo-zy!

It's amazing what kids teach us: That we aren't as patient... invincible... knowledgable... or as YOUNG as we think. They're like miniature mirrors to our souls.

I discovered this quite by accident (okay, okay...I guess I already knew it...) when my kids were studying their Flintstones multi-vitamins at breakfast today.

"I got a little man," my son said.

"I got some kind of creature," my daughter added.

A little man? A creature? These are characters from the classic '70s cartoon show The Flintstones. Don't you kids know anything? It featured a man and his wife and daughter and pet dinosaur and....

Then it struck me: my kids don't know anything about the Flintstones. They've never seen the cartoon, and this is the first time I've given them this kind of vitamin.

I tried to explain that it's a show about two families and their pets... But I stopped myself and wondered. Was it really a kid's show? I mean, in the traditional sense of children's programming? I think it was actually more like a cartoon sitcom. I'm sure a lot of the storyline and jokes went right over our heads. Funny that it appealed to so many kids back then.

Oh, well. Maybe we didn't understand it all, but at least we "had a gay ol' time" watching it.

Yabba-Dabba-Doo!

2 comments:

Angel at Aduladi' said...

Ooh! I LOVED the Flintstones! After all they were, "the modern stone aged family"! I even have the shows on DVD! My kids have never seen them either; maybe one of these days.

Susie said...

Funny how something so familiar to us, can be so foreign to them. The past is indeed a foreign country...the homeland, right? LOL!! Maybe we'll have to invest in some DVDs for them...we don't want them to be in therapy later on. LOL!!