Monday, February 05, 2007

Still More Monday Musings

"Monday, Monday. La-laaa La-la-la-laaaa. So good to me. La-laaa La-la-la-laaaa."

New week, new video, new quiz....new episode of 24...




Lots of fun, new stuff here at "Writer's Block."

Wow.


* * *

Moving right along....

The temperatures have hit sub-zero here in W. City. We put the outside bunnies, Bonny and Clyde, in the basement until it "warms" up...or at least until it begins to feel more Winterish and less Arctic-ish.

Poor little rabbits were desperate for water. Everytime we'd thaw their water bottles, they'd only get a few swigs before the bottles froze again. The inside bunnies don't know what a cushy life they have.

A good day to do LOTS of baking, methinks....perhaps that'll warm the house a bit. One can only hope...and you can never have too many yummy baked goodies around, right? Well....

* * *

Today is my nephew's 13th birthday. Happy Birthday, Erik! Hard to believe...always hard to believe...

* * *

From my online daily calendar:


5 THINGS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT
• a toaster as shiny as a mirror (with brown smudges that won't come off)
• the miracle of Velcro (excellent!)
• a good sense of humor (we've got kids, right?)
• Super Bowl (Ad) fanatics (caught the highlights...perfect)
• peach gelato (Mmmmm-hmmmmm!)

* * *


I chose this week's video with my daughter in mind.

She's been taking ballet for seven years now and dreams of being a professional dancer one day.

It's funny watching our little ones as they grow and mature. You remember all the silly, "cute" things they said and did as babies, toddlers, preschoolers...and forget they're still saying/doing them.

We actually started Emily in dance class at 2 because she danced everywhere (still does...so maybe that didn't work). What better place to release this dancing urge/energy than in dance class?

But there's another kind of dancing that I want to keep encouraging her to do...and that's the dance of "being herself" and dreaming big dreams. We all seem to worry about who we are based on what others see in us...you know, what we wear, what we know, what we do...etc. And those worries start so young these days.

I love this video because the singer is encouraging her daughter to dance -- keep on -- despite what others think of her. No matter, just keep on dancing.

That's a hard lesson to grasp...especially at 9 years old.

So this song is for you, Emily. I do hope you dance!


Hope you never lose your sense of wonder,
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger,
May you never take one single breath for granted,
God forbid love ever leave you empty-handed,
I hope you still feel small
When you stand beside the ocean,
Whenever one door closes
I hope one more opens,
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance.

I hope you dance....I hope you dance.
I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance,
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Livin' might mean takin' chances but they're worth takin',
Lovin' might be a mistake but it's worth makin',
Don't let some hell-bent heart leave you bitter,
When you come close to sellin' out reconsider,
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance.

I hope you dance....I hope you dance.
I hope you dance....I hope you dance.
(Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along,
Tell me who wants to look back on their years
And wonder where those years have gone?)

I hope you still feel small
When you stand beside the ocean,
Whenever one door closes
I hope one more opens,
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance.

Dance....I hope you dance.
I hope you dance....I hope you dance.
I hope you dance....I hope you dance.
(Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along
Tell me who wants to look back
On their years and wonder
Where those years have gone?)

No comments: