Sunday, January 07, 2007

Happy Thoughts on Junk Food

From my online daily calendar:

5 THINGS TO BE HAPPY ABOUT

• red grapefruit
• crisp mountain air
• moisturizing lotion
• a cat’s contented sigh
junk food on a road trip

When Stuart and I were younger (I think it was way back in '94), we took a two-week roadtrip around Europe. We borrowed his parents' car, boarded a ferry in Southampton, England, and stayed in youth hostels, eating yoghurt and bread-n-cheese and drinking Fanta and coffee. We were living on a shoestring budget. Nothing posh. No grand hotels for us. But it was glorious, seeing life in the off-the-beaten-path towns and villages and experiencing some of the "real feel" of the countries we visited.

I decided to help out our limited budget by bringing along some snacks. You know those giant 3-pound bags of cheese curls and the economy-sized bags of animal crackers that could feed a boy scout camp through a whole summer? Well, that's what I brought.

It was a great thought -- a good idea that helped a bit -- but it soon got old when the cheese curls got decidedly harder and chewier and the animal crackers somewhat softer and blander.

I can't remember if we ever finished all of them.

But I do know that Stuart still won't eat animal crackers or cheese curls.

No comments: