Thursday, January 11, 2007

Button Box

My mom got a box of buttons from an auction once...a long, long time ago.

The buttons were odds and ends, the ones that come in a little baggie or envelope as an "extra button" with a sweater or blouse. Some were buttons lost off of pants or a shirt. Some were bought to replace others.

Whatever their purpose, the buttons always intrigued me. They came in all shapes, colors, and sizes with two holes or four, sometimes with patterns or pictures. Some were shiny; some just plain.

I loved sifting through that beautiful round tin, covered with gold and metallic pastel patterns, imagining where the buttons came from and what they could have been used for.

It was an endless delight for the young imagination; a ticket for a brief journey to another time and place. The perfect way to spend a rainy afternoon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom has a few tins full of old buttons, and I love sifting through them. Some were my grandmother's, some are from some of my mom's groovy 70s clothes. I used some of my favorites to close some knitted wallets that I made to store jewelery in.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hi Susie,

I'm a friend of Angels. My grandmother had a shoebox filled with buttons which got passed down to my mom and now to me. I love that box of buttons. I don't know why (maybe because of what you said). I use to spend a lot of time going through all the buttons and looking at each one.

Susie said...

Welcome, Carolyn! I love that so many of us have these things! And how fun to be able to use them with your knitting projects, Kelly!

I wonder what it is that draws us to the button boxes? My mom couldn't figure out why she bought it...she just liked it, I guess.

I've always loved the way the buttons feel when you run your hands through them. :o)