Thursday, January 08, 2015

The Power of the Pen


Mine is a blog of random thoughts and musings...my mind is in constant motion trying to make sense of the world around me.

............

What does it mean to have freedom of speech or freedom of expression?

To the staff of the a French weekly newspaper, it meant death.

I believe in kindness. I believe in love. I believe that we should treat each other with respect. I believe in truth. But does that mean I'll always agree with everyone around me? Does that mean I won't ever offend someone? Does that I shouldn't ever offend anyone?

No.

People are born with a voice. Many of us are taught to use that voice responsibly. Some don't choose to use it. Others choose to use it in a way that may ignite others to think, to laugh, to feel. In doing this, it may offend some people.

The attack and slaughtering of the staff of the Charlie Hebdo was senseless. It was horrific. It was barbaric.

I don't agree with the content published in Charlie Hebdo. Politically-speaking, it is probably as far from my viewpoint as ever something could be. But that's my opinion. And it's my choice not to buy or read that publication.

That's because I know that you don't have to agree with someone for them to have the right to exist. You can think they're vulgar and offensive, and they can still exist. You can be mad at them for it, and they can still exist. But...

You DON'T have to kill them for it.

It's the equivalent of the playground bully coming and killing another kid just because the other kid said he was ugly.

My heart hurts.

And my head spins...because they may feel they silenced the "infidels"...but instead they awoke the giant.

In the name of freedom of expression and speech and as a fellow journalist: Je suis Charlie.

1 comment:

RETA said...

Susie, thank you for writing.

RETA@ http://evenhaazer.blogspot.com