Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hanging with Slang

I've never been really "hip" when it comes to slang. I don't always get the latest lingo, and I find it hard to incorporate some of what feels silly to say into my everyday speech. It comes out kind of "stilted." Maybe I'm just too serious sometimes.

So it wasn't a surprise that I didn't really understand the term: Peeps.

I grew up knowing and enjoying the yellow sugar-covered marshmallow creations shaped like baby chickens. They were a favorite in my Easter basket, though I often left them long enough to get crunchy with bits of plastic grass stuck fast to their bottoms because I couldn't bear to eat them....their sweet brown eyes and stout little bodies...

Enter in the slang use of "my peeps."

Being very literal, I couldn't understand why people constantly referred to these "marshmallow chickies" as their favorite ones to hang around with. Why? They were marshmallow candies, for goodness sakes.

Then the proverbial penny dropped, and I actually got it.

"Peeps" was short for "people"...the ones you love the most. Your favorite ones to "hang with."

The lightbulb went on, and I loved it. What a great expression!

So I present to you: MY "PEEPS"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So funny!! We were talking on the phone with my parents last night. It was Chandler's turn to talk, until she decided she needed to go to the little girl's room all the sudden. She actually said "BRB, Nana" before handing the phone to me and running off.

That full-circle feeling is funny, isn't it?