Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Bowled Over with Superness

Take two parents completely NOT interested in football...add in their two kids totally turned on to watching the Super Bowl and a singing 4-month-old baby.

What do you get?

Super Bowl Sunday at the Foote house.

Okay. Okay. To say that Stuart and I were wholly uninterested in the Super Bowl is a bit of a stretch. We do enjoy the ads...usually.

Well, that was last year.

What a game! At some points you weren't sure which team to cheer for. Both teams played extremely well.

I grew up in a Steelers household. My parents -- for reasons unknown to me -- were HUGE Steelers fans. You knew when the Steelers played on TV because the volume of cheering (and other vocalizations) went up dramatically.

I didn't pay much heed to the game though. It was too slow for me. The guys huddled too much. The play stopped so often that you could get snacks and use the bathroom and still get back in time to see the end of another beer commercial. Like a soap opera, you could miss some of the action and still keep up with it all. (I'm more of a real football fan. You get lots of action in soccer. And they never huddle or stop to measure stuff.)

But not yesterday.

The game started out normal enough. 1st down, 10 yards. 2nd down, 6 yards....and so on.

The Steelers scored. The Cardinals scored. The teams seemed very evenly matched.

The Cardinals were poised on the edge of their endzone, ready to score another big one...and a player from the Steelers intercepted the ball and ran 100 yards to score for his team.

I stopped breathing during the play. It seemed incredible. It seemed impossible. And, yet, it was happening. Right in front of our eyes.

Our kids were ecstatic. Their first real experience watching the Super Bowl was certainly turning out to be a treat for them.

The ads were so-so...but the football action was fantastic. It was anyone's game. And, even better, the kids were rooting for the Steelers and they won...in the last minute of the game.

Does it get any better than that?

1 comment:

carebear said...

I can't get into pro sports of any kind. Now don't get me wrong, I'll go to Braves and Falcons games because they are the home team and I'll cheer just as loudly as any other die hard fan there...but my heart isn't in it. I'm much more a college girl, especially football! I love watching a game where the players are still "pure" and not consumed with salaries and commercial deals. Just makes victories and close games that much sweeter. :) Glad you enjoyed the game. :)