Thursday, December 06, 2007

Fun on 34th Street


"Once upon a time, not so long ago, there lived a mommy and her two kids. They got up very early one morning to drive to the Big City far away from their house..."

* * *

Well, I did it.

Okay, okay...it's not like I solved world peace or something as significant as that, but I'd been wanting to go solo with the kids in to New York City.

And I did it!

It's not a hard trip, and I don't know why I doubted myself. (Stuart didn't. Bless his heart! He reminded me that I was always so independent before we had kids.)

So I got the kids up at 4 a.m. on Tuesday, and we left for the Big Apple to see our friends and the lions at the New York Public Library.

Fast-forward to 8:30 a.m., and we're sitting in Starbucks, enjoying a grande eggnog latte and bagels and fruit, talking about going to see the windows at Macy's. My friend, Lana, has two precious little girls...and I have two sweet kids...it's Christmastime...and very windy and cold outside.

Hmmm....

An hour later, we wander around the outside of Macy's on 34th Street and enjoy the various windows and....well, freeze our hands, feet, cheeks, and noses off.

When Macy's opens its doors at 10 a.m., we decide to go inside to warm up and see the Christmas decorations on the 8th and 9th floors.

Wonderful!!

Then we see the sign for the Macy's Puppet Theatre.

Hmmm....

This isn't an adventure we get to enjoy everyday....and it can count as language arts, being a story and all.

Again, wonderful!!

Then we think it might be fun to wander through Santaland, stopping to see the "Big Jolly Man" at the end.

Creme de la creme!

Lunch with Lana and her girls, some playtime, and time to get back on the PATH train to head home.

EXTRA fun!!

The "lions" can wait.

Christmas cannot.

* * *

"...And a very fun day was had by all. The End."

No comments: