Thursday, June 22, 2006

Game to Meet

Recently, my hubby and I began a game about famous people: who we'd say "hi" to, who we'd ignore, and who we'd slap. It's a fun way to see how we think. We picked some names and went from there.

Famous people (for me):
Hi: Kiefer Sutherland (though I think I'd blush)
Ignore: Tom Cruise (he's SO stuck on himself)
Slap: Britney Spears (she seriously needs to see a shrink...or to grow up...or both!)

We started the game as a way to see who we'd "invite" 'round to play games. I've been all about Kiefer at the moment, watching nearly everything the poor guy's made, but I realize that no matter who we "invite" from Hollywood (or beyond), we'd never know the real person. We'd be swayed by what we've read or watched.

That must be a really hard life to live -- granted they're compensated nicely for their time and hard work. But when can a famous person ever be himself or herself? You know, let their "hair down" without having a hundred reporters and photographers there to document it. With the public eye so keenly fixated on them, the stars are bound to get weary.

I read an article about a "sighting" of Kiefer the other day. He was trying to buy a package of white undershirts. He was tired and frustrated, going store to store, to no avail. People thought this was amusing...and newsworthy. Of course, I read it along with millions of others, but I did find it sad that it was of interest.

I know they choose this lifestyle when the enter the acting field. And I know they reap the benefits of all of it...esp. in money. I learned all about public figures in my journalism ethics class. But it doesn't stop me from feeling like "hi" isn't enough. Thousands of fans say hello to them. It's like I want to offer more, maybe even a chance to get away from it all, and hang loose.

"So com'on 'round, Kiefer, and bring a friend. We'll play some Cranium and eat burgers and corn-on-the-cob. We promise not to be too amazed by your fame or ask for autographs or gawk at your presence. And we even promise not to make you sit and watch any episodes of 24 with us...well, not many anyway."

Nevermind... It's probably a hopeless cause, huh?

P.S. Try our game, and let me know your three people and why.

1 comment:

Emi ♥ said...

Hi: Zac Efron (though I would be the same hehe)
Ignore: Justin Bieber (He's just awful!!)
Slap: Vanessa Hudgens (What she did to Zac was awful!!)

That was so fun!! Love you!! :) :) ♥ ♥