Thursday, June 29, 2006

24 -- the Game


Recently, I participated in a homeschool forum and earned a nice amount of money for two hours of my time. (As my 12-year-old nephew would say, "Sweet!") So I decided to do the responsible thing and buy a PlayStation 2. Yep. Very responsible, huh? I'm not a "gamer" in any form of the word. I used to hold the high scores for most of the games on our Commodore 64 -- but that says a lot...esp. these days.

I wanted a PS2 for several reasons. Firstly, I wanted to get my hubby Tomb Raider-Legend for Father's Day. He's a huge Lara Croft fan. Secondly, I wanted the 24 game. :o)! So after searching around Ebay, I found a nicely-priced, used copy and "bob's your uncle." (Did I mention I'm not a gamer?)

I saw Kiefer Sutherland on Jay Leno, talking about this game. He described how his stepsons tested the game for them and enjoyed getting "Jack" into the worst possible place before letting him die. Well, I'm not enjoying that, but let's just say Jack isn't really safe with me at the controls. I've managed to run him into walls, punch out his backup guys, shoot the bad guys I'm supposed to "restrain." Basically, Jack looks very drunk with me at the helm. At one point, I had him running, sitting and thinking, running, rolling, shooting walls, and socking his own guys.

I'm slightly better now. It's a cool game -- though the graphics are a little rough -- and I know I'll know I'll get to be even better once I figure out the 454+ button joystick. (Did I mention I grew up with a Commodore?? You know, with games that used a one-button joystick?)

For now, Jack will have to be patient with the "breathalizer tests," "nosebleeds," and hostile stares from his cohorts. Afterall, I'm not a gamer...yet.

No comments: